The ‘Perfect Race Weekend’, a step by step guide to enjoying the largest professional road race in Philadelphia, The Philadelphia International Cycling Classic.
1. Wake up on friend’s couch at 9:30am, well into the start of the men’s race that already started at 8am. Step outside to check if your kit is dry from washing it in the shower with the day before.
4. Oogle over the glistening, waxed, logo-covered, multiple bike carrying, streamlined perfection that is every single race support Volvo wagon(Volvo, if you’re reading this, we’re open to sponsorship and partnership deals!)
5. Finally give yourself over to the energy that is a massive crowd of people gathered together for an event they don’t entirely understand, but are more than happy to be a part of and bond together for. Keep an eye out for trending neon’s, fresh new kit design, and new geometric helmet shapes.
9. Make sure you see all the people you’ve known for years but might not live near anymore. Tell them you miss them, that you appreciate them, and try to catch up. All these people that you would never know if it wasn’t for the common bond of absolutely and maniacally loving riding their bike.
10. Watch the womens race in it’s entirety. Pay attention. Cheer your heart out. And encourage the most important piece of cycling evolution. Women’s cycling. This is important. This is necessary.
14. Spend time with one of your oldest friends. Talk about what got you into bikes. Talk about photography. Talk about photo projects. Talk about art. Talk about your driving forces. Talk about your inspirations. Talk about how often you still ride BMX. Talk about your plan for the next 5 years.
Just appreciate and live in the moment.